Popular Reddit client Apollo today received a notable update that overhauls the notification experience. The app now features custom subreddit watchers that provide alerts when content you’re interested in is posted, plus it supports alerts for trending posts in your preferred subreddits.
For those who often use the Reddit Remind Me bots, Apollo now has an option to schedule a notification for a post you want to revisit for an update. The app includes a rebuilt inbox notifications experience, plus there are customizable notification sounds.
In addition, there are 10 new icons to choose from, plus a number of other smaller tweaks and bug fixes. The entire set of notes for the update are available below.
– Brand new, completely redesigned notification experience
– Introducing custom subreddit watchers. Incredibly powerful, you can now create filters and have Apollo watch for interesting content in your favorite subreddits, and get a notification as soon as a matching post exists. So you’ll never again miss out on a fascinating discussion about your favorite character Mark in your favorite TV show subreddit, or about PS5 or Xbox sightings in your city’s subreddit, or about the squirrels being posted in r/aww. It’s so unbelievably handy.
– Trending subreddit posts. With a tap you can turn on trending post notifications for subreddits of your choosing, so when a post in your favorite subreddit does super well, Apollo will send you a little notification to brighten your day
– Remind Me In… tired of summoning “remind me bots” in comments? Apollo can now easily schedule a notification for a post you want an update on, so you can know to come back when OP posts the juicy update they promised
– Completely rebuilt inbox notifications (post replies, comment replies, messages, mentions)
– Probably the best set of icons ever added to Apollo. An absurdly talented crew of designers created some of Apollo’s best icons for this update, and guess what, there’s like literally 10 of them, ready to make your home screen shine
– A bunch of new custom notification sounds. You can even have A-P-O-L-L-O being typed on a mechanical keyboard as your notification sound!
– Added Video Deblurinator feature/setting which helps with videos not appearing blurry for the first few seconds
– Added option to hide media controls by default when opening media viewer
– Improved album/gallery loading speed
– On profiles can sort user comments and post by time period now
– Greatly improved efficiency with enormous images
– Added option to paste Reddit URL into Search tab search bar to open that link
– Fixed issue where users could be sorted incorrectly in subreddits list
– Option to share watchers via a URL
– Can long-press on Search tab to quickly go to the search bar
– Can long-press on Posts tab to quickly jump to the Jump Bar
– Tweaked Apollo logo for Safari extension
– Fixed bug where it looked like you could edit the text of what you were replying to
– Playback speed options for YouTube videos using API
– Fixed bug where sometimes titles weren’t selectable in Select Mode
– Added option to completely hide blocked users
– Fixed missing “Open in YouTube” setting
– Fixed Markdown formatting for long lists of subreddits in comments
– Added pretty icons for long-pressing notification actions
– Underscores can italicize/bold in Markdown editor now
– Fixed bug with favorited users
– Fixed bug where some URLs wouldn’t open properly
– Fixed linking of some strange subreddit shortlinks
– Fixed bug where underscores in links could load weirdly in Apollo
– Fixed Open in Apollo redirect loop
– Improved some icons in comment composer
– Fixed weird animation when upvoting a comment with a Wikipedia link
– Fixed bug where custom gestures and Markdown tables could conflict
– Fixed bug where some table-heavy posts could crash (mostly in r/LeagueOfLegends)
– Keyboard opens faster when commenting
– Fixed bug with Face ID/Touch ID
– Fixed bug where the pulsing “live sort” icon for comments would stop animating
– Fixed bug with some Reddit shortlinks
– A ton of other small little improvements
Apollo is free to download from the App Store, but more functionality can be unlocked through Apollo Pro or Apollo Ultra purchases. Apollo Pro is priced at $4.99 as a one time purchase, and Apollo Ultra is priced starting at $0.99 per month.
Reddit has announced a new comments search tool that gives users the ability to get search results from replies to original posts – a first for the platform in its 16-year history.
Until now, Reddit users could only retrieve search results for original posts, communities, and individual users, meaning they would have to click on several posts and then scroll through what could sometimes be …
Telegram Messenger has released a new update for iPhone and iPad that lets users set a custom sound for notifications, in addition to a number of other new features.
Following the update, custom alert tones can be created in the app from short audio files and voice messages that are under five seconds and up to 300KB in size. Multiple custom alerts can be created and assigned to…
Instagram today rolled out new Following and Favorites feed options, allowing users to sort their feeds to see content posted chronologically from the people they follow or content just from their favorite people.
The new Following option is a traditional chronological feed, and it displays the latest posts from the accounts that each Instagram user follows in reverse chronological order….
If you are unable to load Reddit right now, you are not alone, as the website is currently down for many users due to server issues. Reddit’s status page confirms that the website is experiencing an “unresolved incident” resulting in pages failing to load.
Many users are receiving an error message that says “our CDN was unable to reach our servers” when attempting to load Reddit.
Apple today seeded the release candidate version of an upcoming tvOS 15.5 update to developers for testing purposes, with the software coming one week after the release of the fourth beta.
Developers can download the new tvOS 15.5 update by downloading a profile onto the Apple TV using Xcode.
tvOS updates are typically minor in scale, focusing primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes…
There are plenty of hidden features and shortcuts that Apple has built into macOS over the years, ranging from keyboard commands to less than obvious settings. These small hacks can improve your workflow and make your Mac experience more customized, so we’ve highlighted several tips and tricks that you might not know in our latest YouTube video.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for …
Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 15.5 update to developers for testing purposes, with the software coming one week after the release of the third beta.
Developers can download the new tvOS 15.5 beta by downloading a profile onto the Apple TV using Xcode.
tvOS updates are typically minor in scale, focusing primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements…
With around four months to go before Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 14 lineup, the overwhelming majority of rumors related to the new devices so far have focused on the iPhone 14 Pro, rather than the standard iPhone 14 – leading to questions about how different the iPhone 14 will actually be from its predecessor, the iPhone 13.
The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are expected…
Sony this week came out with an updated version of its popular over-ear noise canceling headphones, so we picked up a pair to compare them to the AirPods Max to see which headphones are better and whether it’s worth buying the $400 WH-1000XM5 from Sony over Apple’s $549 AirPods Max.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. First of all, the AirPods Max win out when it comes …
Apple has silently increased the price of its Apple Music subscription for college students in several countries, with the company emailing students informing them their subscription would be slightly increasing in price moving forward. The price change is not widespread and, based on MacRumors’ findings, will impact Apple Music student subscribers in but not limited to Australia, the…
The iPhone 14 will feature a more expensive “high-end” front-facing camera with autofocus, partly made in South Korea for the first time, ET News reports.
Apple reportedly ousted a Chinese candidate to choose LG Innotek, a South Korean company, to supply the iPhone 14’s front-facing camera alongside Japan’s Sharp. The company is said to have originally planned to switch to LG for the iPhone…